Tuesday, November 24, 2009

non-Christian cultural awareness day.

My things are packed. There are boxes stacked by the door. Laundry is done. My section of the fridge is clean. I am moving.

In with Christians.

I realize in the re-reading that I left some things unwritten that would have best been included last night. I made a very harsh allusion to my peers having mocked and judged non-Christians. Though I very much felt as though they did those things, and I'm fairly certain my non-Christian friends would have felt the same, it is important to me to note that those ends were not my Christian friends' intent. They were having a casual conversation, amongst other Christians, about the reasons why people do not accept the Gospel message. I am certain that they did not intend harm, or pain. And certainly, these same comments would not have been made in the presence of non-Christians.

Having said that, I think I was so hurt because I have so often been the non-Christian in the room, amongst Christians who just didn't know that we did not share a Lord. Those Christians in my past didn't know they were talking about me. To me. But nonetheless, I was there.

So what's the answer? Make sure to verify everyone's beliefs before having those conversations? I think that's cheap. Maybe we should just change the way we think about ourselves, and about others. What's the old phrase? If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? Not something I entirely agree with (mostly because of Sarah Palin's candidacy), but I would support a modification: If you shouldn't say it with a non-Christian in the room, maybe you shouldn't say it when he/she leaves.

I was struck, on Saturday night, that the focus was so "What are they doing?" and not "What am I doing?" Non-Christians are getting their cues from us. We are the source of their info about Christianity. I think this is traditionally the point at which we all look around at each other, and say "What me? No, no...I'm one of those good Christians, who shows love to people. But I know someone who gives the wrong idea..." Well, guess what? Much like my OT friends, you too have given the wrong idea. Probably without knowing it. I have, too. We all do.

I've been thinking that Christians need a course in "non-Christian cultural awareness," almost in the same vein as the cultural diversity training that corporations have. I don't mean that to be trite, or ridiculous. There truly is a cultural divide. And I have found that Christians often have very self-serving notions of non-Christian ideas about the faith. It'd be good to shake that down, get some respect flowing.

I am bothered when Christians have a very "This is so obviously true, why won't they just accept?" attitude towards the gospel. As though it's totally intuitive that all of this crazy theological junk would be historically accurate, and spiritually relevant. I understand their being frustrated with people who won't even consider the possibilities. But let's have some humility-- I didn't understand on my own. Why do we expect others to do so? I love Lindell's 10.14 sermon for exactly that reason. It reminds me that my understanding and believing is a gift, not something that my intellect accomplished.

So I can't claim that I did something awesome in asking for forgiveness, and accepting His gift. He did something awesome. That changes the way I see people who don't share my beliefs. Makes me less important, less knowing. I don't always live up to the full potential of that idea, but I'm trying.

In catch-up news: Someone spoke in tongues clear as a bell, right in front of everybody during Sunday morning service last week! That was a cultural adventure. Lindell's son talked on Sunday night, and um, yeah. The guy totally brought it. I can be a pretty harsh judge of preachers (most of which I keep to myself), but it was a really great little sermon. I will be living with actual, full-on Christians in a few days. Little scared, not gonna lie. My friend wants to come to next Saturday's bible study! Oy vey. My mom and stepdad are coming to James River this Sunday! Should be good. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment