Thursday, October 28, 2010

morning thoughts.

The sun shines today also.

One of my favorite lines from Emerson. I won't force-feed you the foregoing paragraph, but I'll tell you that it's about tradition. Actually, Tradition. It's about how previous generations were able to form their world, and their God through fresh eyes. But "ours is a retrospective age." Emerson claims that we live through the experiences of those before us.

Thus, Emerson would have us remember that the sun shines today also. The world continues to turn. We are in the world. We have the ability to construct our own reality, today also.

I like the line because I think they speak to a living religion. And in fact, the strictures of religious tradition are in part what Emerson was railing against.

I like that in a few simple words, I can be reminded that God is not dead, church is not something that I do, and scriptures are not hollow words. God is very much alive, to be experienced as vibrantly by me as by the first humans on this earth. His Church is something that He breathes into. His Words are a living link to His heart. When I pray, when I worship, when I read--the process is interactive. That's a miracle, friends. A miracle with 24-7 access that requires nothing more than my willingness to take part. I don't have to beg God to work in me.

Emerson was not exactly a bible-believing Christian, so I doubt he'd favor my reading of his words.

The Holy Spirit sows truth where He will, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment