Wednesday, July 14, 2010

this week.

I'm struggling this week.

I feel alone here sometimes. Like I can't talk through things with friends inside the church, out of fear of offending them or being misunderstood, and as though I can't talk with friends outside the church about the issues because anything I say would reinforce their negative stereotypes of the church.

It's a sort of self-imposed isolation, I know. The fears are real, though.

People want to understand. They just... well, usually, they don't. Because they can't remember what it was to not have Christ as a part of their psyche. Or they don't know what it is to have had confidence in a completely different world view.

We're all taking refuge in Christ, in the forgiveness of our sins. But, I think it's different to come from not really having formed a well-organized world view, than to come from a lifetime of thought and wonder and strongly-held life philosophies.

It's hard to explain to someone the sensation of sin not having been sinful.

And it's a tough trick to mix certainty in your own experiences with the humility to grow. I've been wrong about so much, but that doesn't make everything I know wrong. There's difficulty in bending to people who really haven't had to bend--I think sometimes, like me, they don't know how. When I moved here, I was shocked at all I never knew, and I think it's the same for some people I've met. They don't know what they don't know.

That's part ego, and part truth, but wholly real.

Believing isn't easy this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment