Thursday, July 15, 2010

small graces.

After yesterday's post, someone text-ed me to tell me that I am "loved and believed in." She offered to talk, and pray. Her kindness touched me deeply.

Her words reminded me of some things.

Firstly, that though I may at times feel misunderstood, I am most certainly not alone. That, no matter the differences, love is universal. Interest, and care, and gentleness, and helping--these are all things I am continually shown that see no theological debate, that harbor no knowledge of philosophy or culture. Sometimes, I make too much of the differences.

Secondly, that it's not about me. She reached out to offer care, beyond herself. And she was able to do that presumably because her faith gives her peace in whatever trials she faces, such that she has peace to spare. Peace to give to others. Oh, that I would be willing to give so much to others. Not that I wouldn't ever feel alone, or scared, or uncertain--but that those expressions would be second to my sense of compassion, and service.

I am thankful for people who take the time to share small graces. The effects of grace are never small.

No comments:

Post a Comment