Thursday, July 29, 2010

productive praise.

I was in awe the first time I volunteered in live production at James River. I remember sitting there at the computer, flipping the lyrics and the screen notes, so acutely aware of the responsibility and the incredible blessing it was to have even a small part in facilitating the worship of thousands, and all I could think was... "God, why in the world would you give me this opportunity?" I was flabbergasted that He'd even see fit to let me sit there. Let alone touch stuff--stuff that would instantaneously appear to thousands down below.

I don't share that often, because I know it makes me look like a major nerd.

But it was, and is, such an incredible experience.

I sat up in the darkened production room that first morning on my own, everything still so new and mysterious and...technical. From behind me, I can hear the director, "One, take, three, take, slow push on five, take..." Next to him, the assistant director, "Last line coming up. You can lose your lyrics." A person or two passes through, some sit for a moment, watching it all on the multitude of video screens flanking the back wall. From the headset in my ear, I can occasionally hear the producer down in the house, asking about video times. People sit at the boards, next to the director, iris-ing in or out or whatever they're doing. Next to me sits some fancy-looking recording equipment which I assume is doing some fancy sort of recording. The sermon begins, and suddenly, there's a strange connection between you and the pastor. He doesn't know it or you, but it's there. For 35 minutes, you become John, or Tim, or Curt, or Scotty's assistant, tracking with him through the flow of his sermon, point by point. "How are we on time?" "He didn't use that reference first service, but stand by for this service." "He is really flying through those scriptures."

It's a magical world, as much these days as it was in those first days.

And still, when I'm there in a quiet moment, I realize. I'm in the nerve center of a church I visited to mock, helping guide thousands of people through worship. Whatever I've done wrong, God is giving me this truly amazing chance to be involved in a way He knew I'd find exhilarating, and challenging, and fun, and deeply, deeply meaningful. What a compassionate God.

Who is this God who would not only call me and save me, but then place me in His church in a way that He knows makes me happy? What did I do to deserve that?

Nothing.

I'm reminded when I am up there, that all good things are from Him, unearned, and so I offer them back in worship. One screen at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. Especially this part,
    "Who is this God who would not only call me and save me, but then place me in His church in a way that He knows makes me happy? What did I do to deserve that?"
    I know exactly how you feel, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete