Monday, March 29, 2010

this is what a pentecostal looks like.

People, I done lost my mind.

Let me tell you about it.

I gave a class presentation tonight on "Religious behaviors: a Skinnerian Approach," drawing heavily upon my experiences at James River (though not identifying the church by name). Now, I know that most people hate public speaking, but I love it. LOVE it. I am never happier than when teaching, particularly when I get to gab about psychology, and religion, and research. So I'm in heaven, right?

Then comes the Q&A session. I'm going to just bust out the punchline now. It involved me announcing: "This is what a Pentecostal Christian looks like."

How did this happen? Why did I suddenly decide to become a mouthpiece for a whole bunch of people who would probably prefer that I not identify myself with them?

Well, firstly, it wasn't a decision. It was more of a blurt. Secondly, it was a little liberating, and, with my apologies to all Pentecostals everywhere, I'm going to feel good about it. And finally, it was in response to a comment of a woman that went something like this: "I don't know, I kind of had this idea about what pentecostals look like, like..."

Me: "Reeboks, and jean skirts, and weird?"

Her: "Yes. Exactly. I hope that's not offensive."

Me: "Not at all. I understand. But this is what a Pentecostal Christian looks like [sweeping hand gesture down my body]. My friends dress trendier than me, but they look like Pentecostals, too."

That wasn't the only question. It wasn't the only controversial thing that was said. But fielding the questions was EXHILARATING.

And, I pulled a strong finish on how just because I can explain and describe human behavior with a theory--say, Skinner's--doesn't mean that there is no God, and if there is a God, knowing about behaviorist principles doesn't mean that He doesn't work in, and through, and over them. If the goal of science is Truth, we need to consider the existence of God as any other hypothesis, and create theories, and design measures to accommodate the possibility.

At that point, jeanskirt-and-reeboks lady noted that I was asking her to be open-minded in science, but, are the church people open-minded? Great question. I'm not addressing religious people, I'm addressing budding scientists, and we ought to be chasing down Truth, even if that takes us someplace uncomfortable, someplace religious.

At the end, my questioner came over to tell me that she thought the presentation was amazing, and that it was unfortunate for everyone who had to go after me.

Yes, that is a backdoor brag. But it's not about how great I am. As I went up to begin, I thought, "God, let me have fun tonight, in Your spirit. Let me live out your love with my mind." And, truly, regardless of the grade, Christ came through.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did a great job! Yay for you! And I want to say yay that you cared about Christ shining through, but I don't know how to say that without sounding like a dork, but yay for that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,

    Thanks! Sounding like a dork is totally in now, didn't you hear? :-)

    Have a great Easter!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll be sure to tell my kids I'm "in" now!

    Happy Easter to you, too.

    ReplyDelete