Thursday, March 18, 2010

stack of sums.

Dudes. If you have never checked out Mark Driscoll's facebook page, do it. For this reason: His comments allow a snarky kind of debate that divides the church, and all but hands us over to non-Christians for target practice.

I know, I know. That's a funny thing for me to say. I've been hacking away at the church on this blog for seven months. I am the dissenter in almost any room down here.

Which is why, as I read the comments, I thought, "Man, I have got to be more careful."

As always, I believe strongly in a role for open and honest, often critical discourse on issues related to the church. And I have argued ceaselessly that these debates should be had out in the open, so that non-christians can see that we're not a monolithic block of nonsense. That only some of us are nonsensical. On a serious note, so that non-Christians can see that we have disagreements, and that that's okay--God remains on the throne.

But there's a style, and a tone in which these discussions should be had. And as a I read the opinions of Driscoll's facebook followers, only about 50% of whom show respect or thoughtfulness (on either side of the debate), I quickly began tabulating the number of times I have lacked what I expect to see in others. I began adding up the damage I've done.

That's a humbling stack of sums.

No comments:

Post a Comment