Tuesday, February 2, 2010

grateful for you.

There is one thing that I'm grateful for.

That's actually a misnomer--there are several things that I'm grateful for.

But one that is particularly relevant, and that I seldom (if ever) write about.

I am grateful for the unbelievable grace I've been shown by people who go to James River. I keep writing these crazy things about them, and their church. And they keep loving me. They keep talking to me. They keep inviting me out for coffee, and welcoming me into their lives, and nodding pleasantly while I say yet more crazy stuff to their faces.

That's something. I mean, that is really something.

I said that to one of my incredibly leftist Christian friends from home, and she told me that it wouldn't really be impressive unless they actually considered and acted on the ideas I was sharing with them. Another friend ("un-churched") told me they were just being nice to "win me over."

I disagree with both of those heathens. Firstly, agreeing with me has nothing to do with love. These people have shown me love, even when they think I'm raving mad (which is exactly what I've thought of them). Secondly, who cares if they're trying to convince me of their beliefs? They care enough to share something they believe is good. Sounds OK to me. I do the same.

So I'm back to the beginning. Their love is remarkable. Whatever I think of their beliefs, or the way in which they hold them, their love is Christ-like.

I thank God for that every day. I should probably thank them as well.

I was thinking about that as I walked into the church on Sunday. After my attempted run-away last week, and the accompanying blogging, I thought, "Can I actually walk back into that building after what I wrote?" I think that a total of two people read this blog, so it's not a practical issue, more of a principal. But still.

I want to get practical for a second. If you read this blog, two people, please know that I appreciate you. I appreciate the way you've been Christ to me. And while I can't promise that I won't say more crazy things (I think there's a value to honest exploration in all its gritty glory), I can promise you that I will continue to thank God for you. That though I suck at loving you, I will try to love you better. And that no matter how wrong I might think you are, I will still try to see your point of view.

For real.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings!

    I attend James River. I read your blog and so do several of my James River and Central Assembly friends. So, it's definitly more than TWO people. :) I think it's so great to see you processing through your faith journey. I wish you all the best and pray that God will continue to reveal himself to you as you seek after Him. As Christians, we are ALL learning and growing. Sometimes we get it wrong, but we reserve the right to grow and change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous nice person,

    Thanks for the kind words. Your prayer is incredibly encouraging, and much appreciated. If you go to JRA, feel free to say hi sometime. I'm the one in the third row-center, not waving my arms, or praying out loud. :-) That should actually do the trick in distinguishing me from my pew-mates.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete