Wednesday, December 23, 2009

a coupla beers.

Life is good.

I'm in St. Louis. I love St. Louis. Love St. Louis. Since I first visited about seven years ago. I fell, hard, and for always. When I think of my perfect life, I think of it here. When I plan my wedding, I plan it here.

Tonight, I met a friend of mine for a beer. And it was redemptive. He ran a bible study up in the Chicago area. It was thoughtful, and intelligent, and was the first time that I saw a kind of Christianity I could accept for my own. Seeing him again was everything I could have hoped for.

I should mention first that both of us have experienced something of a major spiritual renewal in the year since we've seen one another. He has gone much deeper into his faith. And I have gained a new understanding of Christ, as a savior rather than just a behavioral model. So our getting together was almost like a meeting of strangers.

But then we were also both the same. Same humor. Same disregard for the conservative "rules," and affinity for beers, and off-color jokes that my James River friends would be appalled by. But also a deep and abiding love for Christ, and desire to understand His will in our lives. To understand what is culture, and what is faith, and how the church ought to go about dealing with each.

As we shared a couple of beers, and some good food at the archetype of a St. Louis bar, I felt so profoundly warm. We talked about authors, and preachers, and Christians. I told him stories of the people I had met, and of AG megachurch culture (good and bad). He told me about the great things that his church was doing (he works in the music ministry at a GREAT church down here), and how God was coming into his life in new and amazing ways. We laughed, and talked, and carried on until we both startled to realize it was 10 o'clock. And then we lingered for a few minutes on the sidewalk, planning on planning to see each other the next time I planned to be in town.

There must be a great and benevolent God to think to give me something so wonderful as tonight.

I realize, in the re-reading, that these seem like romantic statements. They're not. He has a girlfriend, and I'm kind of busy right now for yet another emotional/intellectual element. But to be with a Christian, outside the conservative culture of James River, felt so much better than good. To remember that there are different Christian cultures out there--ones that so suit me--is more than amazing. At the same time, I'm happy to be at James River.

Maybe that's the best part. I love the future. I love the present. I'm at peace with the past. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment