Thursday, April 8, 2010

the head things and the heart things.

Someone once told me that he thinks that more often than God laughing at me (perhaps, with me, at times), He is cheering for me. And I love that. What a great idea. That God gave me this cheekiness, and sometimes quirky sense of humor, and brazenness, and that He cheers me on.

Do you think that God is like an earthly father in that He's proud of us? That is, do you think that God is proud of me?

I'm exploring this whole notion of God as the Father. I generally focus so heavily on His power as the Creator of all of this, that I think I miss the nuances of His love. There's a reason for that. I understand the logic of God first and foremost through the existence of the world, and so, God as Creator is the ground-zero of my faith. Everything else follows.

But now, those head things are set alongside the heart things. I don't need the repetition of the intellectual arguments, as I come to experience the proof of their truth. Much as my mentor telling me that his greatest arguments for God have come from his finding Christ in life, so too, I find Christ in my life. Thus, I can explore.

The idea of God as my ultimate Father does something funny to my heart. A flutter. Warmth. I feel tears come quickly. A smile lights my lips, and the sensations of gratefulness, and astounding safety rise simultaneously. If you've been so long with Him that you've forgotten, I pray it all comes back to you. If you've never known, I pray you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment