Sunday, December 5, 2010

dream sequence.

I have this recurring dream.

Though the details are always different, the core is the same. I'm facing off with Satan. Or evil, I guess, is a more comfortable word. In the dream, evil is attempting to overtake me. And I always have a bible. The sequence is like this: I somehow realize that evil is with me. I grab the bible. Evil literally swirls around me, and I simultaneously pray, and announce to evil/Satan that thanks, but I'll be staying with God this time.

It's not a hero's story, though. I'm not courageous or steadfast. Well, I guess I am steadfast. But I'm terrified the whole time. I'm just so certain that God will eventually prevail, I don't give in. Apparently, my unconscious mind is much, much more certain than my conscious.

I had the dream again yesterday, during my afternoon nap. Only this time, there was more of a lead-in. I was talking to this woman, and the more we talked, the uneasier I felt. It became clear that she was evil. Then, it became clear that she was THE source of evil, I was talking to Satan. Then, Satan realized that I knew. Then hell broke loose.

A strange hell, though. It was as though I was in a tornado of ideas, and thoughts. Swirling around me. Satan was in the room with me, threatening literally to destroy me. But I had a bible with me. And I just kept saying that I knew that God was true. I knew that no matter how bad this got, I'd make it through to God.

This isn't the first time I've dreamt of Satan in that way. A while ago, I visited a very unorthodox church, and afterward was contemplating asking for a meeting with the atheist reverend to ask questions about the theology. Before I could, I had a dream about that meeting where in the middle of it, her eyes went black, and she told me that Satan was out for me. It was less than pleasant, and though I'm sure that the atheist reverend is a very nice, non-demonic person, I did not ask for a meeting in my waking life.

Nor it is the first time that my dreams have involved threats of evil. A few weeks ago, I woke up so certain that someone was in my apartment with me, I actually got out of bed and checked every corner. There had been a woman standing over me in my sleep, hissing threatening sorts of accusations at me. So incredibly real. Brains do funny things.

So I'm wondering why my funny brain is doing these things. Why is my unconscious apparently preoccupied with the idea of "Satan"? And is Satan real? Or a fabrication of my unconscious being steeped in a church that believes "he" (she?) is? Is there one localized source of evil? Is there one physical domain of evil (hell)? Who or what is Satan?

No comments:

Post a Comment