Monday, August 9, 2010

a sip of life.

Look, like ten people read this blog. So I'm going to trade in on that anonymity to get down and dirty and all up in my own business.

I have a crush on the most amazing and Godly man in the whole world. And we've known each other almost since I got here, so "four seasons" down, we could get married tomorrow.

Yeah.

Except that we couldn't And this conversation between me and my bestie back in Chicago will tell you everything you need to know.

Me: [Sigh, murmur, sigh] "He's so great," blah blah blah.

Her: "Ok, then why are you planning to stay as far away from him as possible? You've always been a talker-outer."

Me: "It's pretty clear he's not interested. He's had plenty of opportunity to ask by now, if he were. And plenty of motive--I'm pretty fantastic."

Ver.Bat.Im.

Her: "How do you know? Have you thought about asking him? Because for all you know, he could be sitting there wondering if you're interested." [Comforting sounds of the blue line in the background.]

And then, friends, I had to do it. I had to tell her about dating with conservative Christians.

Me: "Yeah, well, about that. See, there's like this thing down here about girls asking guys out. They just don't."

It's at this point that I started worrying that this was another gag played on me by some over-eager Christians. But then remembered the bevy of girls I've asked since I first heard of it, including my L.A.-born, very-normal roommate, who affirmed it. Girls don't ask. (Coincidentally, they do tell, as I've learned from some married women down here.)

Me: "It's, like, a part of the culture. I think the idea behind is that if he can't balls up to ask you out, he probably won't be able to take on other important aspects of domestic leadership."

Her: "Seriously?"

Me: "Yeah, look, I know it's Amish, but it's just part of the culture."

Her: "Ok, but do you want that kind of relationship? I mean, really.. leader of the household? I mean, it'd be one thing if you actually were Amish, but..."

Me: "Well, you know, I'd like to keep the vote. But yeah, I want some liberal version of that. The 'head of the household' is not at all how you're imagining it anyway. "

The rest of the conversation devolves into a discussion of exactly how Amish my amazing, and Godly crush actually is, and whether or not my decision to back off is a function of my supposed talker-outer disposition, or real wisdom.

Regardless, I felt the moment was too good not to share. When I moved here, I didn't just meet Christ, I met His word, and the many seemingly whacky (and many not-so-whacky) ways in which His word is lived.

Usually, I'm too busy living the moment to enjoy it for what it is--funny, and real, and sometimes confusing, and illustrative, and altogether wonderful--but tonight, I'm just blessed enough to sip it slowly, tasting the complexity of what my life has become.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. I'm one of your 10 blog readers. :) My situation is exactly opposite of yours - lived in Springfield for 6 years (went to Evangel, LOVED JRA (and still miss it terribly) grew up A/G) and then moved to Chicago 5 years ago. A friend sent me a link to your blog and I have you on my Google reader. I never know what to write - I have loved watching what Christ is doing in your life and how you genuinely respond. Despite growing up in a Christian home, your words challenge me and my faith, what God means to me and why I believe the things I do. All the best to you. Praying for you from Chi town.
    P.S. I met my husband (a fellow JRA'er) the week before I moved to Chicago. Probably saw him every week at JRA for those 6 years. We didn't start dating until I was 500 miles away. Expecting our first child in the next couple of weeks. God works in mysterious ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,

    Thanks SO MUCH for the kind words. It truly moves me to have someone I don't know praying for me from a place so far away. And to have her sharing wisdom! Love your story--I bet it's awesome to be married to a JRA-er even if you weren't together while you were here--you don't have to waste any time trying to explain how awesome it is.

    Also--does that 'T' stand for Thiele? I met you and Dallas at the bonfire. And loved you guys! Nice to meet in cyberspace as well!

    Thanks again for reading, and for such incredibly amazing words of encouragement. I'm thankful for you, honestly.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! YES! I didn't even put two and two together! ha ha ha ha!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,

    Lol... funny! Let me guess--Eliza. Noooo, Trevor told you about it? :-)

    I'd love to hear your perspectives. Not being raised in AG circles, or really in church, I'm missing a whole view, sometimes.

    And congrats on upcoming baby! You guys must be excited out of your skin!

    We should have coffee or something the next time I'm up there-- you guys are in Lemont, right?

    -A

    ReplyDelete