Monday, May 3, 2010

ecstatically statistical.

I once read a psych study about how no matter how happy you thought something would make you, and without regard to promises of how you'd be "happy forever just as soon as" you had this or that, you've got three days.

Three days of joy.

After three days, your happiness fades, and you live again to wait, and expect, and worry, and exhale, and rejoice, or cry.

I'm thinking about this because last week, I was made joyful. I had been waiting for weeks, months really, to hear about a teaching position. Then, bam, it's mine. I am teaching undergraduate statistics at MSU next year. I love to teach. I mean, I LOVE to teach. And I get to plan every corner of the class--the syllabus, the lectures, the assignments, the tests. All mine. Those kids have never had so much fun.

So, I was happy. I am happy. But within a day or so of the decision, life crowded in. I went back to worrying about the other big issues still up in the air. I tried to remind myself, "Ash, you just got what you've been waiting for months to get--who cares about this other stuff??" But I thought, "Yeah, well...as soon as this next thing gets cleared up, it'll all be good."

Wrong. Wroooooong.

I worry that that kind of thinking does something funky to my understanding of, and relationship with, God. I'm afraid that I sometimes live a life divorced from the reality of God as the provider. That I think of my spiritual life, and my physical life as separate entities. They're not.

I can't live as though true peace is around the next bend. He's the peace, and He's always here.

Though it pains me to say it, psychologists can be wrong. With regards to happiness, they should be wrong. My joy in Him is greater than three days can contain. I pray for the wisdom, and heart to live in that joy.

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I like the blog's new look!

    Just wanted to say... from my experience, God's joy and our earthly happiness is quite different. I've been through very difficult times and I was still buoyant with God's joy. I was distinctly unhappy, but my heart could still sing and I was still freed to converse and... I functioned. This distinction was made all the more obvious to me precisely because I've been through such times without the presence of God's joy. I was just unhappy. The end.

    I'm reminded of Nehemiah 8:9-12:

    And Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn or weep.” For all the people wept as they heard the words of the Law. 10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” 11 So the Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be quiet, for this day is holy; do not be grieved.” 12 And all the people went their way to eat and drink and to send portions and to make great rejoicing, because they had understood the words that were declared to them.

    For me, that verse is a mystery. The joy of the Lord is my strength?! How does joy translate to strength? How could I be happy when I am weary and brought low? I only realised later that joy, and specifically joy from the Lord, is very different to happiness.

    Happiness is circumstantial, whereas joy is constant. It is our soul's response to God's love, the freedom that He's given us, the joy of forgiveness that leads us to stand up, no longer brought down by the weight of sin, to give praise. The Holy Spirit within you, praying for you. All that is joy, all that is strength that is not your own. And that's why it's not dictated by your own circumstances.

    So feel free to be happy or sad. Just make sure that you're aware of God's joy in you, like living water, and receive it, because God is always willing to give.

    (I'm sure you knew all that. Just my two cents. Have a good day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. How brutish of me. Congratulations on your new teaching post! You're going to do an amazing job. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the job!

    And you might find it worth your while to read Question 1 of the Heidelberg Catechism - I know, doesn't sound sexy but I've been amazed by it. It doesn't specifically deal with human joy but with our only comfort, which can translate into joy. Also, Kevin DeYoung's new book on the Catechism helps clarify things as well.

    Again, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stina,

    Thanks for the wonderful thoughts! And the kind words on the job. I am excited.

    Same to you, Christy. You guys are awesome-ly encouraging--particularly awesome since I've never met either of you! :-)

    Heidelberg Catechism--I'll check it out. Do you go to DeYoung's church, by the way?

    Thanks, guys!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do go to his church. It's quite a blessing to hear him preach each Sunday. And it's even better because I've gotten to know him and he's the real deal: his love for the Lord is beyond evident, and he's humble, kind, incredibly knowledgeable. He's just one of those all-around great people.

    ReplyDelete