Tuesday, March 27, 2012

fertility folly.

I can't have children. That's what the doctors say.

After 5 weeks of daily radiation blasting my cervix, and some intense implant radiation therapy, I am 100% useless as a baby-making mechanism.

When the doctor told me, I wasn't surprised. For years, I've known that I would not be able to give birth to my children. I don't know how, or why. But from the time that I was young, I knew. That's why I've always been so passionate about adoption.

I didn't know how it would happen, how I would find out. Would there be an accident? Would I find out while my husband and I were trying? I had no clue. But I knew. So, when the doctor told me, and then he waited for the reaction, it never came. I knew. I've always known. I wasn't upset. I want to adopt. I've always wanted to adopt. No bigs, doc.

Given all of that...there is one piece of "encouragement" that I wish would die a terrible death. It goes like this:

Me: [Just told someone all of the above and more.]

Well-intentioned conversant: "Aww, you know God can do miracles. Lots of women still have babies after these kinds of things."

Me: [The rest is in my head and goes like this]:

Um, hi. I just told you that I want to adopt. That adoption is a miracle to me. That if I should be blessed enough to meet the man with whom I can storm the world, and we should be blessed enough to give a child a life of Christ, and love, and wonder--that's what we're going to do.

Please don't be sorry. Don't give me that tone. Don't tell me about miracles. I'm a miracle. That He would choose me, and give me this life, is a miracle. I know. I'm not sorry. I don't use that tone with myself. Our child will not be in any way second best because Mommy had cancer, and she couldn't give birth. My family won't be second-class because we don't share genetics.

I know that people are well-intentioned, and caring, and encouraging. But in assuming that I need to hear about miracles, and prayers, that encouragement denigrates my passion for adoption, and it insults me and my future husband, and our child/ren. It acts as though child birth is the first and superior choice, and whatever I'll do--well, that'll be a compromise. And I don't feel that way!

This cancer came out of left field. And more things could. I could end up pregnant! But if I do, it won't be a better miracle. It'll be the same kind of miracle that drives me to adoption. And that child won't be a better one than my adopted children, but just as wonderful.

So...to anyone who has ever given that kind of encouragement, please join in the joy that I have, encourage me and build me in that. And to myself...don't ever forget what you've learned in this.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you this morning. You are a miracle Ashley! The transformation God has done (and I've been privileged to follow) is a miracle and He is SO good! And I LOVE your heart. Despite what people would consider a tragedy, you embrace and are passionate for its potential. Adoption is so incredible - and it takes incredible people to step up to the challenge. But God has called us all to take care of the widowed and orphaned. You are living what Christ has asked of us. I've been praying for you - now I'll add hubby and lots of babies to the list too! Hugs from Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :-) But let's not get carried away. I mean.. LOTS of babies?

    :-) Thank you, seriously, from the deepest part of my heart, for the kind thoughts and prayers, and encouragement. It is so important to me.

    ReplyDelete