Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not of this world, but definitely in it.

Another Wednesday, another prayer meeting at James River Assembly.

I got there early tonight, which means that I got to park within a half-mile of the door, and caught a seat in the third row again. When you walk into the prayer service, the lights are dimmed, and the jumbotrons say "Prayer service in progress. Please silence your phones, and put any personal belongings under your chair." I guess that last part about your shit because you might be jumping up and down or something. I'm tempted to say that it shouldn't apply to me, given my stationary nature during these services, but I did trip over my stuff last week while shifting nervously from side to side when this woman next to me started wailing. So maybe they're right about the safe stowing.

Lindell definitely cut down on the vending machine prayer tonight, which made it far easier for me to take him seriously. Thanks be to God.

His wife, who I think is technically also a lead pastor, is in Haiti with a bunch of other Rich Americans this week. I follow her on twitter, and have seen the pictures, and the comments about the poverty there. Lindell put them up tonight, and as he was talking about how dangerous a country it is, and how poor, and how little hope there is...I went where I always go when these things come up. What are we doing? What am I doing? My friends and I are so (comparatively) fashionable, and wealthy, and how much do we spend on things that could so easily be translated into food, or water, or medicine for someone across the world who has nothing? I'm failing. I never thought I'd say this, and this certainly isn't by American standards, but I'm too fashionable. Most of the things I "need" are not actually needs in Reality, but only by the standards of our social constructs.

So what is the model for an approach that does take into account Reality? Tim Kasser. For sure, he eschews what is popular in favor of what is necessary, because he believes that by cutting down on consumption, he is having an effect on our world (and he is!), and has still managed to be a force in the research world. Maybe I need to make materialism a focus of my research here, in addition to figuring out what I need to do materially. And then someone would say, "Oh, but no one will take you seriously if you don't dress appropriately, and have the right things." What a cop-out. Who will start?

But this church! This church is doing the same thing. What would Jesus think if he walked into this well-appointed lobby, with the beautiful auditorium, and screens, and lights, and guitars? Would He be at home, and slap John Lindell on the back, saying "good job, buddy"? Or would He haul ass out to the north side of town, and sit down on a stoop to start talking to the street bums, and locals who walk by, so much the better if "the faithful" follow Him out?

We're messing it up, man. We're on the wrong path. Lindell preached last week about how Moses had a choice between going with biblical wisdom (what he did) and fighting for his people from a lowly but honest hold, or going with worldy wisdom, and using the power of a position as Pharoah to do good for his people. What was so odd about that sermon for me is how he didn't seem to see that the church, and in this case his church has been faced with the same decision, and chosen worldly wisdom. They've decided to say that in order to reach people, they need this impressive building, and all of these worldy trappings (great music, state-of-the-art audiovisual stuff, unbelievably trendy and beautiful print materials). But then what happens? You pull in "converts" who think that all of that is biblical. You set a fire for mediocrity under your congregation by allowing them to think that it is enough, if we are not to conform to this world (Romans 12), that we then create a parallel world--one that has the same economic, and political, and entertainment systems, but is a "Christian" version. Like putting a "clean version" sticker on a Tupac album.

I don't think we're called to a parallel world. We are called to not conform, but to remain in this world. Jesus himself set the standard for that. The value of His sacrifice hinges upon Him having come and lived entirely with us on the earth, in the human situation. So, no, not a parallel world. But a new morality, a non-conformism to the systems of this world.

What now?

Also, Lindell asked us all to partake in a 21-day Daniel fast with them before the opening of the new building (one church, two locations). Which I like, as much for the experience of fasting with a megachurch, as for the possible spiritual ramifications. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment